01624 611117 mail@ik.im

Dispute Resolution

Ian is able to assist in relation to a range of disputes including boundary disputes and builders contractual claims.

Attempts will always be made to resolve matters through correspondence and negotiation before Court proceedings are commenced.

Town and Country Planning

Have you already made a planning application? Are you intending to make a planning application? Alternatively, do you wish to object to a planning application?

Initial Decision

If the application is refused by the planning committee, the applicant can request, within 21 days of the date of the refusal notice, an appeal. If an application is approved, an objector can request an appeal if deemed to have sufficient interest in the proposal i.e. if granted “interested party” status.


If the applicant or objector requests an appeal the matter is then transferred to the Chief Secretary’s office for consideration by an independent planning inspector.

Ian can prepare a full written submission for the appeal hearing and also liaise with any chosen experts such as architects and structural engineers. An onsite meeting can be arranged with the appellant and any necessary photographs of the location can be taken and incorporated into the appeal submission. Ian will provide experienced advocacy at the oral appeal hearing and present the case for the appellant or applicant before the designated inspector.

Appeals are normally held on the Third Floor of Government Offices in Douglas and after hearing oral evidence the inspector will close proceedings. It is usually four to eight weeks after the appeal before the inspector’s report is submitted to the Minister for consideration.

The Minister can either agree or disagree with the independent inspector’s recommendation. In the vast majority of cases the Minister will accept the inspector’s recommendation. The Minister’s decision is final unless application is made to Court by Petition of Doleance for a review of the Minister’s decision.